Department of National Defense (DND) Secretary Delfin Lorenzana is not sold to the proposal of presidential daughter Davao City Mayor Sara Duterte to make military service mandatory for Filipinos.
Lorenzana said the proposal is not only hard to implement.
The country is also not on “war footing,” Lorenzana said.
Earlier. Sara who is running for vice president in the May polls, said that if she wins she will ask Congress topass a law making military service mandatory for all Filipinos once they turn 18 years old.
Lorenzana said Implementing mandatory service would require additional funds.
“Training camps would need to be established all over the land, and manpower and funds must be allocated to accommodate the millions who will reach the age of 18 every year,” the defense secretary said.
Lorenzana said the existing Reserve Officers’ Training Corps (ROTC) program mandatory is still the “better alternative.”
“We in the DND support the mandatory military service of 18-year-old Filipinos… The implementation of mandatory ROTC in private and public schools is the better alternative,” Lorenzana said.
Sara hopes youth won’t grow up ‘ungrateful’ like Walden Bello
Davao City Mayor Sara Duterte on Wednesday night said her dream is to inspire patriotism among the youth and not to be “ungrateful” citizens like her fellow vice presidential candidate Walden Bello.
Sara made the comment after Bello said the presidential daughter’s remarks on mandatory military service for all Filipinos upon turning 18 years old “is a mask off moment for the dictator-in-waiting.”
In a report in government news agenxcy PNA, Sasa said: “I truly hope that our youth do not grow up to be a Walden Bello — an ungrateful citizen who sleeps peacefully at the comfort of their homes, unable to say a prayer or a silent ‘thank you’ to the men and women who became martyrs while countering violent extremism, insurgency, and terrorism.”
Mayor Sara Z. Duterte has once again pushed back her State of the City Address (SOCA) from December 20 to January next year to help people affected by Typhoon Odette.
Mayor Sara’s December 20 SOCA was supposed to be done virtually from 1 to 3 p.m. It was twice rescheduled since the original date of the address had to be postponed after she fell ill due to the coronavirus disease 2019.
After Odette’s onslaught, Mayor Sara decided to reschedule again and instead spend time helping typhoon victims.
“I encourage the Dabawenyos to empathize with those who lost loved ones and continue to suffer from the effects of the typhoon. Let us pray for our fellow Filipinos amidst this crisis,” she said.
Mayor Sara earlier in the day joined her running mate and presidential aspirant former Senator Ferdinand “Bongbong” Marcos Jr. in turning over PHP2 million financial assistance to Negros Occidental Vice Governor Jeffrey Ferrer.
DAVAO CITY – Mayor Sara Z. Duterte is hopeful that the next local administration would continue using the Safe Davao Quick Response (DQR) system for future gifts or “ayuda” (social services) from the government to Dabawenyos.In a radio interview Monday, she said that the mechanism would be… Read More
MANILA – Davao City Mayor Sara Duterte on Thursday officially assumed the chairmanship of Lakas-Christian Muslim Democrats (Lakas-CMD).During the party’s national council meeting, House Majority Leader Martin Romualdez said Duterte, who is running for vice presidency in next year’s elections,… Read More
DAVAO CITY – The current downtrend in coronavirus disease 2019 (Covid-19) cases in this city could be attributed to the increasing number of vaccinated residents, Mayor Sara Z. Duterte said Monday.In a radio interview, she said a total of 909,149 or 69.94 percent of Dabawenyos have been given… Read More