Tag Archives: presidential elections

COMELEC ASSURES IMPARTIAL, FAIR PRESIDENTIAL, VICE PRESIDENTIAL DEBAYTES

All set for March 19-20 debates

The Commission on Elections (Comelec) on Thursday urged the public to watch the first Pilipinas Debates 2022 this weekend.

Commissioner George Erwin Garcia said the first presidential and vice presidential debates will be held at the Sofitel Tent in Pasay City on March 19 and 20, respectively, at 7 p.m.

Nine out of the 10 presidential candidates are set to attend the March 19 event are former presidential spokesperson Ernesto Abella, labor leader Leody de Guzman, Manila Mayor Francisco “Isko Moreno” Domagoso, former National Security Adviser Norberto Gonzales, Senator Panfilo Lacson, Senator Emmanuel Pacquiao, businessman Faisal Mangondato, Dr. Jose Montemayor Jr., and Vice President Leni Robredo.

Lawyer Vice Rodriguez, spokesperson of former senator Ferdinand “Bongbong” Marcos Jr., earlier said the standard-bearer of the Partido Federal ng Pilipinas (PFP) will skip the debates. Read More

WILL SARA DUTERTE BE A SUBSTITUTE PRESIDENTIAL CANDIDATE FOR DISQUALIFIED BONGBONG MARCOS ?

Sara not entertaining possibility of replacing BBM

Vice presidential aspirant and Davao City Mayor Sara Duterte on Sunday said she is not entertaining the possibility of replacing presidential candidate and former Senator Ferdinand “Bongbong” Marcos Jr. if the petition against latter is granted.

Mayor Sara said she personally found talks about her taking the place of Marcos “exceptionally unpleasant”, noting that neither of them has yet to win the elections.

“Personally, I find talks about me ‘possibly replacing a President Bongbong Marcos exceptionally unpleasant as — in reality — both of us are yet to win the elections. It is putting the cart before the horse,” she said in a press statement.

“I am not entertaining the thoughts of a possible replacement as I also do not look forward to a scenario of a disqualified BBM — before or after the elections,” she added. Read More

AFRAID OF RIVALS? BONGBONG MARCOS A NO-SHOW IN TODAY’S KAPISANAN NG MGA BRODKASTERS SA PILIPINAS PRESIDENTIAL FORUM

Six presidential candidates in the 2022 May election – Vice President Leni Robredo, Senator Panfilo Lacson, Senator Manny Pacquiao, former senator Ferdinand Marcos Jr., Manila Mayor Isko Moreno, and labor leader Leody de Guzman – have been invited to the KBP Presidential Forum “PANATA SA BAYAN” organized by the Kapisanan ng mga Brodkaster ng Pilipinas (KBP).

The KBP Presidential Forum on Friday, February 4, starting at 9 am Manila time. 
Five of the presidential aspirants are attending but Marcos will skip the event spearheaded by the biggest news organization in the country .

ERMIN GARCIA: IS BONGBONG MARCOS SNUBBING PRESIDENTIAL DEBATES BECAUSE HE IS AFRAID TO BE COMPARED TO OTHERS?

The KBP Presidential Forum is the second major presidential forum skipped by Marcos who cited conflict of schedule in declining the event. Last week, the son of the late dictator President Ferdinand Marcos Sr. snubbed GMA 7’s Presidential Interview on his claim that program host multi-awarded broadcast journalist Jessica Soho is biased against the Marcoses.

ERMIN GARCIA: Is Bongbong Marcos snubbing presidential debates because he is afraid to be compared to others?

QUO VADIS, BONGBONG?

The series of forums being staged by various media and civic groups are intended to give voters a chance to know the candidates better up close under public scrutiny, to make candidates accountable for their respective visions, thoughts and plans at the same time, under the same circumstances.

So why is Bongbong excluding himself again?? This time from KBP forum? Does he think he’s above the rest and not worthy of his time? Or is he afraid to be compared to others? Or is the campaign strategy for him is to listen to the questions first then ask a friendly interviewer to ask the same on a later arranged date for his prepared and studied responses?? That’s a cop-out.

Bongbong Marcos won’t attend forum for presidential bets

Or is his campaign team simply would not dare risk to lose critical support from among his fanatic fans if his performance and ability to be confronted with difficult questions do not meet his supporters’ high expectations of him??

Whatever his or his campaign team’s reasons, it’s becoming obvious he fears being made accountable and confronted in a forum attended by all others. It’s definitely not like what his namesake, eloquent father – FM – was known to be: Taking on all quarters, anywhere, anytime and whoever! He dares enter any and all lions’ dens. That was the Marcos trait.

Kung face-to-face classes yan, malapit ng i-drop si Bongbong sa subject. Two absences na, hindi pa naguumpisa ang official campaign period. Sayang lahat ang build up sa kanya kung namimili lang pala parati ng interviewer na napapakiusapan. Bakit puro iwas pusoy?

I’m sure many of his own supporters, many of whom are on my page must also be wondering why this is happening. Some will surely offer lame excuses for him but even they are surely hard put in justifying this second absence.

Sayang. He’s missing the chance to make his supporters even prouder of him.

Note: From the UK National Gallery-

The Latin phrase Quo Vadis (Where are you going?) denotes an episode from the life of Saint Peter, as told in the New Testament Apocrypha and the ‘Golden Legend’. Peter fled from Rome during the persecution of Christians under the emperor Nero; as he was travelling along the Appian Way he met Christ in a vision.

GUANZON LOSES BATTLE TO DISQUALIFY MARCOS; COMELEC WILL NOT COUNT HER DQ OPINION

DISQUALIFICATION CASE TO GO TO SUPREME COURT

By ROGER M. BALANZA

Because she has already retired, the vote of Commissioner Rowena Guanzon on three disqualification cases against presidential candidate Ferdinand “Bongbong” Marcos Jr. will no longer be counted in the decision of the First Division, said the Commission on Election (Comelec) on Monday, January 31.

Guanzon, on Monday, January 31, which is the last working day of the commissioner with the poll body, released an undated 24-page “separate opinion” on the disqualification cases against the son of the late dictator President Ferdinand Marcos, Sr., who is running for the country’s top post in the May 2022 election.

Guanzon, who presides over the three-member First Division, filed her separate opinion, as she accused Commissioner Aimee Ferolino, the ponente who should write the decision, of trying to exclude her vote by delaying the promulgation.

Guanzon is set to retire on February 2, after 7 years as a commissioner.

Comelec spokesman James Jimenez, at a press briefing on Monday afternoon, said Guanzon’s separate opinion would not be part of the records of the case.

He said that once Guanzon retires before the promulgation, her vote will no longer be included in the decision.

“I cannot put a label on the value of it but it is obviously very important to know what the commissioners think right now, what Commissioner Guanzon thinks right now, having the opportunity to actually hear the case. But in terms of the disposition of the case, what is crucial and what really matters is the main decision,” he said.

“The ones who will decide the case should be members of the commission and that point of decision is when the main decision comes out,” he said.

The cases to disqualify Marcos were filed by Akbayan and other activist groups, the Campaign Against the Return of the Marcoses and Martial Law (Carmma), and a group claiming to be original members of Marcos’ adopted political party, Partido Federal ng Pilipinas.

While Guanzon may have lost her battle to disqualify Marcos with her vote excluded from the count, Marcos’ woes may not yet be over.

Guanzon earlier said that whatever which way the Comelec case would go, any of the parties are set to bring up the case to the Supreme Court to question the poll body’s decision.

In her opinion, Guanzon said Marcos should be disqualified to run under the Omnibus Election Code because he was convicted of the crime of moral turpiitude for failing to pay taxes.

LACSON WARNS PINOYS VS. ELECTING CORRUPT OFFICIALS

“Ang magnanakaw sa kalsada, pumipili ng nanakawan at nanakawin: biktimang walang laban upang agawin ang kanyang gamit – alahas man o salaping pinaghirapan, o anumang mahalagang ari-arian. Samantala, ang magnanakaw sa gobyerno, mamamayang Pilipino ang pumipili tuwing sasapit ang halalan. Tayo pa nga ang ‘nagsi-shade’ ng kanyang pangalan sa balota. At hindi siya namimili ng nanakawin. Wala siyang pakialam kung ang kanyang ninanakaw ay ang ating mga karapatan sa edukasyon, hanapbuhay, kalusugan at maayos at masaganang pamumuhay, at higit sa lahat, ang kinabukasan ng kabataan.”

Presidential aspirant Senator Panfilo Lacson dished out this message on National Bible Day on Sunday, January 31, as a reminder to Filipinos set to vote new government officials in the May 2022 electins.

Lacson is one of aspirants in the race to Malacanang in a crowded field of six hopefuls.

“For the longest time, we have witnessed how corruption, the worst form of thievery, continues to destroy our nation. And we only have ourselves to blame, ” Lacson said.

“Just for one day, on Election Day, let us not allow ourselves to be partners of the thieves. Let us stand mightily against the evils of their actions. Let us continue to feed our spirit with the wisdom of God’s words and express our gratitude for the Light of Christ that guides our path against the wicked and towards the good,” he said.

.