Tag Archives: COVID-19 FUND MESS

CHINESE Covid-19 supply contractors owe philippine gov’t P7.5-Billion taxes

Senate panel probing pandemic fund mess tells Bureau of Internal Revenue (BIR) to form a special audit task force to conduct investigtion vs Pharmally officials.

On Thursday, October 28, during the 13th hearing of the Senate blue ribbon committee, panel chair Minority Leader Frank Drilon said the Philippine government is potentially entitled to collect some P7.5 billion worth of income taxes from the P42-billion pandemic supply contracts awarded by the Procurement Service of the Department of Budget and Management (PS-DBM) in 2020. 

The anti-graft body is investigating allegedly anomalous pandemic deals by the administration of President Rodrigo Duterte.

Drilon said the BIR tax probe should zero in on officials of the controversial Pharmally Pharmaceutical Corporation and Xuzhou Construction Machinery Group – the two biggest pandemic contractors –to establish if they paid the right taxes.

BAN ON CABINET MEN in Senate Covid-19 fund mess hearing stays

DUTERTE: No way I’ll withdraw memo barring Cabinet

President Rodrigo Duterte on Wednesday night rejected calls to withdraw a memorandum barring officials and employees of the Executive Branch from attending a series of Senate Blue Ribbon Committee probes into the government’s handling of Covid-19 response fund.  

“Pinapa-withdraw nila yung order ko, yung (They want me to withdraw the order) prohibiting people from the Executive Department from testifying. There ain’t no way that I will withdraw it. You can do your worst and I will do mine,” Duterte said in a late-night public address.

He said only the Supreme Court (SC) could decide on whether the memo is “unconstitutional” as some sectors believe.

“Eventually, I think this will reach the Supreme Court. I am not saying that I am all correct. I may be wrong, but I have to protect the Executive Department from the incessant and steady dose of insults coming from the senators,” he said.

Duterte again lambasted the Senate panel for investigating the government’s purchases during the height of the pandemic last year, particularly its transactions with Pharmally Pharmaceutical Corp.

He said he wanted to go to the high court to show footage of how “badly” the lawmakers behaved during hearings.

“That’s why I want them to go to the Supreme Court. Gusto kong makita ang footage ng behavior nila (I want to show footage of their behavior)… I want it recorded in history yung pangyayari sa (what’s going on in the) Senate and how they behave badly,” he said. Read More

PALACE EXECS to shun Senate Covid-19 fund mess hearings

President Rodrigo Roa Duterte presides over a meeting with the National Task Force to End Local Communist Armed Conflict (NTF-ELCAC) at the Malacañan Palace on April 15, 2019. KING RODRIGUEZ/PRESIDENTIAL PHOTO

Directed to ‘no longer’ attend hearings

MANILA – Malacañang on Tuesday released a copy of the memorandum directing all officials and employees of the Executive Department to stop attending the Senate Blue Ribbon Committee hearings chaired by Senator Richard “Dick” Gordon.This, after President Rodrigo Duterte… Read More

LACSON: No evidence to link Duterte to Pharmally

MANILA – The Senate hearing into the purchase of alleged overpriced medical supplies for the coronavirus response has failed to prove links between President Rodrigo Duterte and Pharmally Pharmaceuticals Corp., the supplier of the personal protective equipment sets at the height of the… Read More