Commission on Election (Comelec0 spokesperson James Jimenez said in case a candidate is disqualified before the elections but after the ballots have been printed, “obviously the name will remain on the ballot.”
Jimenez is refering to ex-Senator Ferdinand “Bongbong” Marcos Jr., whose presidential run in the May polls is hobbled by pending disqualification petitions before the poll body.
BUT IF THE SON OF TH ELATE DICTATOR fERDINAND MARCOS SR. IS DISQUALFIED BY COMELEC, MARCOS VOTES IN THE BALLOT WILL BE CONSIDERED STRAY VOTES.
On Monday, January 17, Comelec – Education and Information Department Director Elaiza David said the name of the former senator will be on the official ballot since other cases against him have yet to be resolved.
Five petitions to cancel Marcos’ certificate of candidacy and disqualify him from the polls are still awaiting resolutions.
Two petitions have already been dismissed by the Comelec Second Division.
In the event Marcos’ party, Partido Federal ng Pilipinas, will not be able to substitute him in case of a disqualification, all votes for Bongbong Marcos will be invalid.
“Any vote garnered by that name on the ballot will be considered stray,” Jimenez said. with PNA report
IT IS NOT THE END OF THE ROAD for those seeking to stop ex-senator Ferdinand “Bongbong” Marcos Jr. from running for President in the 2022 elections.
This, even as a division of the Commission on Elections (Comelec) has junked a petition to cancel the certificate of candidacy (COC) of the son of the late dictator President Ferdinand Marcos Sr.
After the poll body’s 2nd Division dismissed the petition on Monday, January 17, the petitioners can still appeal to question the ruling to the Comelec en banc, and even up to the Supreme Court.
If Bongbong’s COC is canceled on appeal and affirmed with finality, he will not only be disqualified from running — he cannot also be substituted.
The petitioners asked to cancel the COC of Bongbong in November last year, claiming that he committed false material representation when he stated in his COC that he is eligible to run for President despite his earlier conviction for not filing income tax returns from 1982 to 1985.
The Commission on Elections (Comelec) is looking to hold a virtual promulgation of the decision on the disqualification cases filed against presidential aspirant Ferdinand “Bongbong” Marcos Jr. by next week.
“On or before January 17, the Comelec First Division will promulgate its Resolution on the DQ cases versus Marcos Jr. If not too risky, we will read it in the Session Hall on livestream,” poll body First Division Presiding Commissioner Rowena Guanzon posted on her Twitter account, @rowena_guanzon on Tuesday.
On Monday, the division raffled off the disqualification cases against the former Senator that are deemed submitted for resolution.
An official of the Commission on Elections (Comelec) on Monday said she will require the camp of presidential aspirant Ferdinand “Bongbong” Marcos Jr. to present his notarized medical certificate following his failure to attend a preliminary conference of the disqualification cases filed against him last week.
First Division presiding Commissioner Rowena Guanzon said she would order Dr. Benedict Francis Valdecañas, Marcos’ attending physician, to submit a notarized medical certificate that was read by the respondent’s lawyer during the January 7 preliminary conference.
“Now I have to require the doctor who examined Marcos Jr to have his medical certificate notarized and indicate his medical license number,” said Guanzon in a report published by the Philippne News Agency (PNA) , based on Guanzon’s post on her Twitter account.
Parties in Marcos DQ cases given until Jan. 9 to submit memoranda
The Commission on Elections (Comelec) has given the parties in the two disqualification cases filed against presidential aspirant Ferdinand “Bong Bong” Marcos Jr. 48 hours to file their memoranda.
Presiding Commissioner Rowena Guanzon ordered petitioners Bonifacio Ilagan, and Akbayan and Marcos to submit through electronic mail (e-mail) their memorandum on Sunday.
“Lawyers hereby given 48 hours to file their memorandum. Your 48 hours begin noon today (Friday). You’re to file memorandum via email. And hard copy the next day. If the court received it, it is deemed filed. January 9 at noon on Sunday via email, then hard copy on Monday, January 10 at noon,” Guanzon said in a PNA report, after Friday’s preliminary conference of the cases held at the session hall of the Comelec main office in Intramuros, Manila.
Duterte party also asked for the reopening of the filing of certificates of candidacy (COC)
The Partido Demokratiko Pilipino-Lakas ng Bayan (PDP-Laban) party on Friday asked the Commission on Elections (Comelec) to postpone the printing of official ballots for the May 9, 2022 polls.
In a 20-page petition, the group of Energy Secretary and party president Alfonso Cusi urged Comelec to reschedule the printing of ballots, set Jan. 15, 2022, since there are still pending cases involving individual candidates and party-list organizations.
“There are numerous proceedings pending with this Honorable Commission and even the Supreme Court (SC), thus rendering it legally impossible for the ballots for the upcoming 2022 elections to be printed,” the petition read.
At the same time, the PDP-Laban asked for the reopening of the filing of certificates of candidacy (COC), which was held October 1 to 8.
The petition added that the Omnibus Election Code would have permitted the filing of COCs until Feb. 7, 2022 for national positions and March 24 for local positions
“Petitioner respectfully prays that this Honorable Commission postpone the printing of ballots for the 2022 national and local elections pending resolution of cases before this Honorable Commission and the Supreme Court.”
The group cited the cases filed against presidential aspirant Ferdinand “Bongbong” Marcos Jr. and disapproved party-list groups that were granted temporary restraining orders by the SC.