Tag Archives: Bukidnon

Army identify, charge suspect in Bukidnon bus blast



By Lilian C. Mellejor

DAVAO CITY, Dec 10 (PNA) –The deputy commander of the Eastern Mindanao Command (EastMinCom) has identified a commander of the Bangsamoro Islamic Freedom Fighter (BIFF) as behind the bombing of the Rural Transit bus in Maramag, Bukidnon on Tuesday.

Brig. Gen. Alexander Balutan, deputy commander of the EastMinCom, identified the suspect as one Garnet Lintang, a commander of the BIFF operating in Central Mindanao.

According to Balutan, BIFF was conducting a test mission for their new graduates.

The BIFF was the group linked to the international terrorist called Islamic state of Iraq and Syria or ISIS even pledging support to the terrorist group.

The bombing incident has claimed the lives of 11 people mostly students, two of whom died later in a hospital. The passenger bus owned by the Rural Transit Mindanao, Inc. (RTMI) left Wao in Lanao Del Sur, about 3:00 p.m. Tuesday en route to Cagayan De Oro City. The bus made a stop over to pick up passengers in front of the Central Mindanao University.

Balutan disclosed that forensic investigation showed the perpetrators used an 81mm mortar which was detonated with the use of a mobile phone.

As this developed, Balutan said they are filing multiple murder charges against Lintang while a hot pursuit operation is ongoing.

Balutan identified nine fatalities as Ken Valiente, Anita Santillan, Catherine Villahermosa, John Rey Valdesco, John Bernard Cunahap, Jonathan Balida, Mariel Pachacoso, Michelle Gonzaga, Michael Buctos, and one still unidentified.

Meanwhile, police and the military in Davao Region remain under heightened alert following the bombing incident. They are also fielding bus marshals to prevent bus bombings.

Speaking at the AFP/PNP press corps at Mandaya Hotel, Davao City Police Office (DCPO) Director P/Sr. Supt.Vicente Danao Jr., said police visiblity is being maximized, specifically in areas where there is convergence of people.

Danao said there are about 60 personnel from the Regional Public Safety Battalion that were sent to the DCPO to augment the present number of policemen in the city.

The AFP and the PNP are now asking the people of Davao City to stay vigilant and cooperate with all security measures. (PNA)

11 KILLED IN BUKIDNON BUS BOMBING

bombingBUKIDNON. A bomb exploded inside a Rural Transit Bus Mindanao bound to Cagayan de Oro from Wao town in Lanao del Sur. The explosion occurred in front of the main gate of Central Mindanao University in Maramag, Bukidnon around 5:30 p.m. (Grabbed from Pulitika sa Bukidnon Group posted by Goody JTabz)

Police in Maramag, Bukidnon are conducting post blast investigation on a bus bombing Tuesday afternoon, December 9,  that left at least eleven passengers dead and more than 15 others wounded, police said.

A manhunt is now ongoing against the suspects who were captured by a CCTV camera in Poblacion Maramag where the bus left before proceeding to Valencia City from Wao, Lanao del Sur, according to Police Inspector Jeselle Longakit, Bukidnon police spokesperson.

Longakit told Church-run Radio DXDB in Malaybalay City that the blast occurred at the rear part of Rural Bus at past 5 p.m.

Longakit said the explosion, believed to be from an improvised bomb with mobile phone as trigger mechanism, occurred while the bus was in transit in front of Central Mindanao University main entrance in Barangay Musoan, Maramag, Bukidnon.

No one has claimed responsibility for the bomb attack that occurred more than a month after another bus of the same company was subjected to IED attack that left four persons wounded.

Longakit said most of the passengers were heading home from a fiesta celebration in nearby Wao town in Lanao del Sur.

The bus firm had been receiving extortion letters from lawless elements asking protection money.

Longakit said the wounded were rushed to hospitals in Valencia City and Poblacion Maramag. (PNA)

Bukidnon spared from from severe power crisis

 

NO ROTATION. Consumers under the franchise of FIBECO have been assured of enough power supply during a recent press briefing by, from right, FIBECO Board President Dr. Regin D. Mordeno, FIBECO General Manager Engr. Renato S. Cortezano, KEGI President & CEO Edgardo L. Salvame and KEGI Vice President Rosalie A. Salvame. (MEL N. VELEZ)

By MEL N. VELEZ

MARAMAG, Bukidnon – As consumers in other parts of Mindanao are hounded by 2 to 4 hours of power rotations, those covered by the First Bukidnon Electric Cooperative, Inc. (FIBECO) in the southern part of Bukidnon are having uninterrupted power supply.
This is because FIBECO has an alternative back-up power source in the 6-7MW biomass power generator of Crystal Milling Co. Inc. and the 2.3MW King Energy Generation Inc. (KEGI) bunker fuel generator, said FIBECO president Regin Mordeno.
These power generators are sufficient to augment low supply from the STEAG coal-fired power plant and the National Power Corporation – operated Pulangui IV hydro power plant, said General Manager Renato Cortezano.
Mindanao is suffering from power rotation as a result of closure from October 6 to November 10 for preventive maintence of the 210MW STEAG plant in Misamis Oriental which supplies 20 percent of Mindanao’s power needs while Pulagui is unrgeoing rehabilitation.
Currently the Mindanao Grid has a power deficiency of from 340MW to 350MW.

 

 

ABSFI-ABSFMPC holds 11th joint annual assembly


By MEL N. VELEZ

MARAMAG, Bukidnon – Associated Bukidnon Sugarcane Farmers, Inc. and Associated Bukidnon Sugarcane Farmers Multi-Purpose Cooperative (ABSFI-ABSFMPC), the province’s second largest sugar planters association and third nationally by production, successfully held its 11th joint annual assembly.
ABSFI-ABSFMPC Vice President & Director Gregorio Lloren Gue urged the 5,800 sugar planters and their families during the October 7 annual assembly at Central Mindanao University Gym, to be active players in the growth of ABSFI-ABSFMPC.
Gue, who was instrumental in the birth of the planters cooperative, in his remarks at the assembly, said transparency and accountability of ABSFI-ABSFPMC has led to growing number of associate members.
BUSCO Sugar Milling Co. Inc. Vice President & Resident Manager Engr. Democrito G. Oppus said he expected high production this year against last year’s crop season due to good climate.
In crop year 2011-2012, BUSCO have ground gross tones of 2,460,683.790 and net tones of 2,429,741.143, according to mills production data. Sugar manufactured and available goes of 230,394.616 and Lkg. sugar due cane of 4,603,838.200, and 230,191.910 in tones sugar due cane.
Oppus informed about an ongoing vehicle registration with BUSCO to insure the containers stoppers were strictly observed, after last year’s 28 recorded incidents resulting from mishandling of truck containers, the start of delivering sugarcane on October 10 to mill site and the payment of the quedan after one week from milling.
Javier T. Sagarbarria, Vice President & Resident Manager of Crystal Sugar Milling Co. Inc. announced the sugar order No. 1 in the country about the composite of sugar ratios productions, such as A-export at 10%, B for domestic consumptions at 82% and 8% for world market, adding that due to world tariff agreement, a percentage of tariff reductions every year have been seen until the year of 2015 that is crucial to sugar planters and millers. This year tariff is up to 28%.
The country’s biggest sugar producer Negros Occidental where price per bag is P1,300 is not an indication that sugar planters in Bukidnon can make as much profit. Bukidnon sugar is also facing threat from Thailand whose big excess production is invading the world market, Sagarbarria said.
In comparison, Thailand produces 11-12 million tons of sugar while the country have only 2.4 million.
There is need to maximize productivity, said Sagarbarria, adding further that extracting sugarcane juices in high percentage have been agreed on by two Bukidnon milling companies.
Guest speaker Confederation of Sugar Producers Associations, Inc. President Rafael L. Coscolluela urged planters to minimize the cost of production and to adapt less costly organic fertilizers and soil supplements. Conscolluela said that adapting cheap organic enhancers will double sugarcane yields.
He congratulated the men and women of ABSFI-ABSFMPC for placing the association among the top in the country in adapting modern farming strategies and organic technology.
He also praised the plan to build a lime factory that could further push the association to greater heaights.
ABSFI-ABSFMPC President & Chairman Pablo Lorenzo III in his report on negative points in the Bukidnon sugar industry, said continuous rains of year 2011-2012 and reduced sunlight drastically stunted sugarcane growth and sugar content, which resulted to only 7.35 million bags, 20.5% lower than the previous year.
Cost of fertilizer, labor and other farm inputs have also gone high, Lorenzo III said.
Lorenzo III said he had gained valuable inputs during a recent trip to Thailand, that he said he wanted to be adopted by sugar planters in Bukidnon.
Speaking about the industry as a whole, Lorenzo said the Philippine sugar industry must develop better high yielding sugarcane varieties, promote minimum land tillage, increase the use of organic fertilizers, add more raton crops, study and use advanced agricultural techniques, boost farm mechanization.
Lorenzo pointed out that the government must improve basic infrastructure such as roads and ports, provide stable peace and order, strengthen the Sugar Regulatory Administration, and cooperate in setting up non-tariff measures for competitiveness.
ABSFI –ABSFMPC’s financial growth glows with bright colors, as bared during the assembly.
Currently, it has a consolidated asset of P248 million and equity of P101 million and members received P4.05 million in cash share interest and patronage refunds and P3.7 million for capital build-up.
Scholarship program accounted for P1 million to support 28 farm employees children as scholars in four universities and colleges, and mutual assistance fund of P600,000 released to heirs of 12 deceased members.
Only 43% of ABSFI’s members belong to the cooperative, with 89% of its total production contributed by them. Due to reduced hectarage and scaling down of expenses, ABSFMPC members withdrew 121,831 bags of fertilizer and 34,891 bags of soil supplement for this crop.

 

‘BUKIDNON 2013 ELECTION: Smuggler’ set to fight Zubiri in top post duel

BY ROGER M. BALANZA

Bukidnon’s venerable and respected political kingpin Vice Governor Jose Ma. Zubiri (Bukidnon Paglaum Party) , is facing up to an opponent of a different specie in the race for governor in the 2013 elections.
His rival is a confirmed drug addict with sociedal tendencies, had been described as a big-time smuggler and been involved in a shooting incident with a government official.
And Lynard Allan Bigcas is selling himself as a politician who could effect change in Bukidnon which has become synomous with the name Zubiri.
The 41-year old Bigcas of Talakag, Bukidnon and Cagayan de Oro City has filed a certificate with the Commission on Elections contesting Zubiri’s bid to recapure the governorship he previously held.
Bigkas however may have a slim chance to put up a decent fight. Ranged against his notoriety is Zubiri’s hold of Bukidnon’s municipal mayors.
Among Bigkas’ caper was being caught with drug paraphernalia by agents of the Philipine Drug Enforcement Agency (PDEA). He is free on a P300,000 bail bond.
I wanted to end my life, he told a press conference to detail the aftermath of his arrest after filing his Certificate of Candidacy (COC). He admitted using drugs but said his arrest was “God’s will” for him to stop the vice and run for governor to “effect change in Bukidnon.”
Police authorities earlier also had raided his warehouses in Cagayan de Oro City and Talakag and confiscated expensive “smuggled” motorbikes and luxury cars.
He had also figured in shooting incident in Davao City with Miguel Palma Gil, Davao region head of the Housing and Land Use Regulatory Board (HLURB).
Bigkas earlier had claimed he is the Liberal Party (LP) candidate for governor in Bukidnon but filed his COC with an Aksyon Demokratikong Pilipino nomination.
The LP had quickly denied Bigkas claim, saying that he had never been a member of the party,
“Bigcas, who is accused of being a big-time smuggler has never been a member of the Party and was never involved in local politics,” Secretary Neric Acosta, LP Bukidnon Chair said in a statement
“This is a clear act of misrepresentation committed to mislead the public especially LP members and supporters,” Acosta said in the statement.
In the 2013 race, Governor Alex Calingasan,Zubiri’s running mate, is facing off two independnent opponents in the vice gubernatorial fight: Tony Dalao and Atty. Nemesio Beltran Jr.
In the 1st District, incumbent National People’s Coalition (NPC) Congressman Jesus Emmanuel Paras will be challenged by Liberal Party (LP) Neric Acosta’s sister-Maria Lourdes and former one-termer Congressman Candido Pancrudo.
In the Second District, Nationalista Party (NP)-Bukidnon Paglaum Party (BPP) incumbent Congressman Dr. Florencio Flores has a rival n former Vice Governor Wenifredo Agripo of Liberal Party (LP) and Valencia City Councilor independent candidate Rogelio Roque,.
In the 3rd District incumbent Congressman Jose Ma. Zubiri III (BPP) is up against Aksyon Demokratikong Pilipino (ADP) bet Ruth Acosta.

 

Bukidnon eyeing province-wide moratorium on plantation expansions

By Mel Velez

   BUKIDNON – There is now a snowballing move towards a province-wide moratorium on expansion of mono-crop plantations in Bukidnon.
     The Bukidnon provincial government is about to adopt a moratorium on issuance of permits for expansion of pineapple and banana plantations following the move of the cities of Malaybalay and Valencia, according to Provincial Administrator Provo B. Antipasado.
    Pushing the issue farther, Antipasado said the provincial board resolution on the moratorium may also be pushed for adoption by all the Bukidnon municipalities.
    The cities of Malaybalay and Valencia, which were swept by massive floods recently, passed the the measure to prevent forest denudation that causes flashfloods blamed on the plantations. The municipality of Maramag is the third local government unit to have passed a resolution on the moratorium, said reports.
    The members of the provincial board are looking at ways to introduce this resolution to municipal councils so they could help protect and preserve their ecosystems, said Antipasado, who admits plantations have expressed opposition to the moratorium.
    The multi-national Del Monte Philippines, which runs the biggest pineapple plantation in Bukidnon and Cagayan de Oro and other large-scale growers have yet to make a statement on the moratorium.

Creation of Bukidnon’s 4th district approved

By MEL N. VELEZ

 VALENCIA City, bUKIDNON – The proposed creation of a 4th Congressional District in Bukidnon has been recommended for approval by two Senate committees, and would soon be endorsed for deliberation at plenary.
    House Bill No. 4382 or the  ‘’Act Reapportioning the Province of Bukidnon into Four Legislative Districts’’ has passed with flying colors during a recent committee hearing jointly conducted by the Committee on Local Government chaired by Senator Ferdinand Marcos, Jr. and the Committee on Constituional Amendments chaired by Senator Manny Villar, according to reports.
    Documents submitted to the Senate committees showed the proposal met legal requirements and faced no objections from the National Statistic Office (NSO), Commission on Election (COMELEC) and DENR Land Management Bureau.
    The new district would be composed of the City of Valencia and the municipalities of Pangantucan and Kalilangan.
    The original proposed Creation of Bukidnon 4th district, House Bill 5236,  was approved by the House of Representatives last year.
    The proposal was substituted and refiled in March this year as House Bill No. 4382 by Bukidnon 3rd District Congressman Jose Ma. Zubiri III and and co-authored by 2nd District Congressman Dr. Florencio T. Flores and Congressman Jesus Emmanuel Paras of the 1st District.