ANDANAR: In contrast to what a handful of critiques would want the international community to hear and read about our country, the Duterte Administration leaves a legacy of a safe and secure Philippines.
MANILA – President Rodrigo Roa Duterte and his administration will be stepping down from office with confidence that the Philippines is “safe and secure,” Malacañang said Wednesday.
This, after the Commission on Human Rights (CHR) said Duterte will leave a government that… Read More
Jailed retired Army general Jovito Palparan denounced the extent of influence held by Communist terrorist groups over influential areas of Philippine society.
A taped interview of the rabidly anti-communist Palparan, 71, was shown Wednesday in a news program of SNMI television network.
Read More: PALPARAN
The Department of Justice (DOJ) said it will investigate why the interview held in the New Bilibid Prison was allowed by the Bureau of Correction (BuCor).
The former commanding general of the 7th Infantry Division in Central Luzon has a pending criminal case for allegedly kidnapping Raymond Manalo at the Malolos Regional Trial Court Branch 19, even as he is serving his sentence, pending his appeal before the Court of Appeals, on his conviction by the Malolos RTC Branch 15 for his involvement in the abduction of two suspected members of the Communist Party of the Philippines (CPP) in Hagonoy, Bulacan.
On December 15, 2011, Palparan was indicted for two counts of kidnapping and serious illegal detention in connection with the abduction of still missing UP student activists, Sherlyn Cadapan and Karen Empeño in 2006.
DOJ officials said they are still waiting for the formal report of the Bureau of Corrections (Bucor) to explain if prison rules had been breached in the grant of an interview to Palparan.
“I have requested Bucor to submit a written (report) on the matter, they will comply,” said DOJ Undersecretary Deo Marco on Friday, echoing an earlier statement by Justice Secretary Menardo Guevarra.
“As to grant of interviews, the rule is not clear. the court still has jurisdiction, but granting interviews may be considered an operational matter that Bucor may resolve by itself. We’ll check the existing Bucor operations manual,” Guevara said.
Prior to his incarceration, Palparan represented the anti-communist party-list group Bantay in the House of Representatives.
President Rodrigo Roa Duterte has signed into law a bill raising the age of sexual consent from 12 to 16.
Republic Act (RA) No. 116481, signed by Duterte on March 4, amends RA 3815 or the Revised Penal Code and RA 7610 or the Special Protection of Children against Abuse, Exploitation, and Discrimination Act.
The law increased the age for determining statutory rape to 16 years old to provide more protection for young people against sexual exploitation and abuse. READ MORE
‘ We can do more’ for women
President Rodrigo Duterte lauded the country’s “distinction as a shining beacon of gender equality and women empowerment” as the world celebrated Women’s Day on Tuesday, March 8.
In his International Women’s Day message, Duterte mentioned the role of women in various sectors and nation-building. READ MORE
MANILA – As the world observes Safer Internet Day, partners in the movement to end the online sexual exploitation of children celebrate wins achieved over the years while calling for stronger community resolve against the continuing threat.The Department of Justice – Inter-Agency Council… Read More
MANILA – The United Nations Children’s Fund (Unicef) on Friday lauded the Philippines’ passing of a law criminalizing child marriage, noting its importance as “another layer of protection” for children.In a statement, Unicef Philippines Representative Oyunsaikhan… Read More
MANILA – Reports involving Filipino children sent through the United States-based National Center for Missing & Exploited Children (NCMEC) CyberTipline Reports (CTR) more than doubled this year, according to data shared by theDepartment of Justice (DOJ) on Tuesday.From 1,297,474 in 2020,… Read More