Category Archives: BREAKING NEWS

BREAKING NEWS: Comelec dismisses Marcos DQ cases for ‘lack of merit’

2-0 vote allows Bongbong to run for president

By ROGER M. BALANZA

The Commission on Elections’ (Comelec) First Division has dismissed the consolidated disqualification cases against presidential candidate Ferdinand “Bongbong” Marcos Jr. for lack of merit.

The Comelec division voted 2-0 on the resolution that removed a major stumbling block to the bid of the son of the late dictator Ferdinand Marcos Sr. to seek the presidency in the May 2022 election.

Bongbong is running in tandem with vice presidential candidate Davao CityMayor Sara Duterte under the UniTeam banner.

In Twitter on Thursday, Comelec spokesperson James Jimenez posted:“The consolidated petitions of Ilagan v. Marcos Jr., Akbayan v. Marcos Jr., and Mangelen v. Marcos Jr. have been dismissed for lack of merit, by the COMELEC’s 1st Division.”

In seeking to disqualify Bongbong, the petitioners alleged the former senator was convicted for failing to file income tax returns from 1982 to 1985.

The conviction perpetually disqualifies him from seeking an elective post, the petitioners said in arguing the case before the Comelec division.

ALSO READ: Comelec division dismisses DQ cases vs. Marcos

But the First Division’s resolution in dismissing the petitions, said:: “Contrary to Petitioners’ assertion, the penalty of perpetual disqualification by reason of failure to file income tax returns was not provided for under the original 1977 NIRC (National Internal Revenue Code).”

“To be clear, the penalty of perpetual disqualification came into force only upon the effectivity of P.D. (Presidential Decree) No. 1994 on 01 January 1986. Thus, the penalty cannot be made to apply to Respondent’s (Marcos) tax violations, which were committed before the effectivity of the said law, in accord with the constitutional prohibition against ex post facto laws,” the decision read.





PETITIONERS TO RAISE JUNKED DISQUALIFICATION CASE VS. BONGBONG MARCOS TO COMELEC EN BANC, SUPREME COURT

By ROGER M. BALANZA

IT IS NOT THE END OF THE ROAD for those seeking to stop ex-senator Ferdinand “Bongbong” Marcos Jr. from running for President in the 2022 elections.

This, even as a division of the Commission on Elections (Comelec) has junked a petition to cancel the certificate of candidacy (COC) of the son of the late dictator President Ferdinand Marcos Sr.

After the poll body’s 2nd Division dismissed the petition on Monday, January 17, the petitioners can still appeal to question the ruling to the Comelec en banc, and even up to the Supreme Court.

If Bongbong’s COC is canceled on appeal and affirmed with finality, he will not only be disqualified from running — he cannot also be substituted.

The petitioners asked to cancel the COC of Bongbong in November last year, claiming that he committed false material representation when he stated in his COC that he is eligible to run for President despite his earlier conviction for not filing income tax returns from 1982 to 1985.

Read More: Comelec 2nd division junks petition to cancel Marcos candidacy

Bongbong may have gained initial points in the 2nd Division favorable ruling, but he is still facing numerous other charges ,against his presidential bid.

The petition to cancel Bongbong’s COC is only one of three petitions against him before the Comelec.

The two other cases involving petitions for disqualification are yet to be decided by the poll body.

Earlier, a petition to declare the former senator as a nuisance candidate was also dismissed by the Comelec.

US sets global record with nearly 1 million COVID-19 cases in a day

OMICRON ACCOUNTS FOR 95.4% OF CASES

The United States set a global record of almost 1 million new coronavirus infections reported on Monday.

According to a Reuters tally, the alarming figure is nearly double the country’s peak hit just a week ago as the h

ighly contagious Omicron variant shows no sign of slowing.

The number of hospitalized COVID-19 patients has risen nearly 50% in the last week and now exceeds 100,000, a Reuters analysis showed, the first time that threshold has been reached since the winter surge a year ago.

The average number of U.S. COVID-19 deaths per day has remained fairly steady throughout December and into early January at about 1,300, according to a Reuters tally, though deaths typically lag behind cases and hospitalizations.

Omicron appears to be far more easily transmitted than previous iterations of the virus. The variant was estimated to account for 95.4% of the coronavirus cases identified in the United States as of Jan. 1, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) said on Tuesday.

PRO-BONGBONG MARCOS SACKED DUTERTE OFFICIAL SLAMS DIGONG: PUT A STOP TO YOUR MADNESS

Ugly, unwise, unfatherly, unpresidential, unprecedented, unforgivable!

If this reaches him, my personal and friendly advise to PRRD: Take a deep breath, shut his ears, eye the bigger picture and listen to his heart. This is not the time to display Tapang, the situation calls for Malasakit.

By PETER LAVINA

As father of the nation, he should put a stop to this madness.
History will be unkind to a father who denies his daughter a chance to be President (Letter 1), ties her hands to handpick her own tandem (Letter 2) and threatens to whip her in public by fighting her in the polls for VP. This is not just ugly, unwise, unfatherly, it is unpresidential, unprecedented, unforgivable!
He should also stop attacking other people. Maybe he needs to be reminded about one among his favorites: “don’t paint others black to picture yourself white.”
Best for him is to devote his remaining months in office in winning against the pandemic, reviving the economy and making certain that the elections are conducted above board, no terrorism, no power outages, no ISP shutdown, no cheating. And then retire as he has announced on Oct 2, be a mentor, spend time for family and himself.
What more does he need to prove, our people’s admiration and respect he already have?
(Mr. Lavina served as unofficial spokesman of then Davao City Mayor Rodrigo Duterte in the 2016 presidential election. After Duterte, won the presidency, Mr. Lavina was appointed as head of the National Irrigation Administration (NIA) but after only a few months, would be kicked out for alleged corruption by the President.

(Posted in Peter Tiu Lavina, Facebook, November 15, 2021)

BREAKING NEWS: CHIONGKEE UY FILES BID FOR DAVAO DE ORO GOVERNOR

Davao de Oro Senior Board Member Arturo “Chiongkee” Uy filed his bid yesterday, November 15 for Governor as subsitute for son Gov. Jayvee Tyron Uy .

May be an image of 1 person and text that says 'PROVINCIAL ELECTION SUPERVISOR COMA の Pa R'
May be an image of 5 people, people standing and indoor

Gov Tyron withdraws his certification of candidacy for reelection as Governor in the Province of Davao de Oro on Monday (November 15, 2021) at the COMELEC provincial office. His replacement is Senior Board Member Arturo Uy.