Criminals could not stay long in Davao City because there are many “eyes” watching for them in all corners of the city, said Vice Mayor Rodrigo Duterte.
The series of successful raids on drug dens last week are results of monitoring by police assets who are all over the city watching out for criminals, said Duterte in his television program Gikan sa Masa, Para sa Masa on ABS/CBN on Sunday.
The raids in Barangay Ilang, Quezon Blvd and Ponciano Street netted 35 suspects arrested and two dead.
The success of the raids also means that the policemen are working and the intelligence gathering has been raised to a new level, said Duterte.
He gave credit to the police intelligence operatives and their ‘assets’ who had worked in crime-prone areas for years.
Some of the operatives were already in place in these areas since 20 years. I would like to assure that every every corner in the city is being watched, he said.
Duterte admits that drug-dealing in the city is rampant but said police would do its best to arrest the pushers.
He said earlier the city has become a magnet for drug pushers because of the concentration of people who are the ready market.
Shabu, the most common drug in use, are sourced from nearby provinces like Cotabato, said intelligence operatives of the Philippine Drug Ennforcement Agency in the Davao Region.
Marijuana, once the favorite drug before shabu, dubbed as the poor man’s cocaine, became popular, is staging a comeback, said the anti-narc operatives.
Several arrest of marijuana couriers have been made, with the pushers admitting they sourced the banned weed from provinces in the Davao Region.
A suspected drug pusher was killed and 15 others were arrested in two separate raids conducted by authorities here on Friday and Saturday.
The raids carried out by joint elements of the Davao City Police Office, Criminal Investigation and Detection Group, Sta. Ana and San Pedro Police Stations, City Public Safety Company, and Philippine Drug Enforcement Agency brought to 35 the number of suspects in a renewed campaign against drug peddlers.
Twenty persons earlier had been arrested in Barangay Ilang in Bunawan District.
Senior Supt. Ronald Dela Rosa, DCPO head, identified the fatality as Orlan Jonson Dela Cuesta, 41, of Purok 4, Barangay 23-C, Quezon Blvd., this city, who died of a lone gunshot wound in the head after he resisted arrest and fired back at the raiding team members Saturday morning.
Nine other suspects were arrested in the same raid. They were identified as Landring Dela Cuesta, a certain Anecito, alias Cetong Lim; Pangalian Macaway Palawan, Arnold Formarejo Lim, Jay-ar Villaflor Ladislao, Ampre Gulani Dela Cuesta, Nelson Buscado Gamale, Richard Dela Cuesta, and Jonebre Eulogio Pitao.
Dela Rosa said the raiders recovered from the lone fatality’s possession one .22 caliber revolver and two sachets of suspected shabu.
On the other hand, recovered from the possession of the other suspects were 19 sachets of suspected shabu, drug paraphernalia, two Smith and Wesson .38 caliber revolvers, 12 bullets, and one mobile phone.
On Friday’s raid, elements of the San Pedro Police arrested six drug suspects in a buy-bust operation at Purok 5, Barrio Tagalog, Barangay 4-A.
Supt. Antonio Rivera, chief of San Pedro police station, identified the suspects as Arnel Sellon Andrion, 48; Albert Roy Andrion Espejo, 28; Hilario Anoya Olaer, 29; Melchor Anoya Olaer, 28; Perla Atangan Olaer, 45; and Celestino Juman Arballo.
Recovered from their possession were one big sachet and three small sachets of suspected shabu, one .22 caliber revolver, four pieces of live ammunition, 27 heat-sealed sachets of suspected shabu, three rolls of aluminum foil, a marked P500 bill, two improvised lighters, wrapped dried leaves of suspected marijuana, and other drug paraphernalia.