IS THERE A VIDEO OF HIM RUNNING NAKED IN LOBBY OF A MANILA HOTEL?
PRESS STATEMENT OF SPEAKER OF THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES and Davao City mayoral candidate PROSPERO C. NOGRALES on the ‘Burlesk King’ handbill
March 29, 2010
1. On 26 March 2010, the start of the electoral campaign for local positions, ward leaders and operatives identified with Hugpong Sa Tawong Lungsod started distributing full-color handbills entitled “Burlesk King.” The expensive propaganda material showed a naked body of a man super-imposed with the face of the House Speaker, two unidentified policemen at background, and an inset photograph of Atty. Karlo B. Nograles, son of the House Speaker, printed on the lower portion of the handbill. This, without doubt, is an example of a corrupted photo that can only be a handiwork of corrupt people with corrupt hands and minds. Our opponents are desperate.
2. The Manila tabloid that first reported the issue had already apologized in public for the fabrication and for making a series of news report without basis. A broadcaster who picked up the series of derogatory news reports – but who initially refused to carry the retraction and apology of the tabloid that originated the false reporting – was convicted and jailed on charges of libel. He later made a written appeal for compassion and was eventually set free after the point has been made by the aggrieved parties, consistent with their religious faith and beliefs.
3. As early as January this year, radio broadcasters sympathetic to Hugpong Sa Tawong Lungsod have been repeatedly airing that Davao City Mayor Rodrigo Duterte would come out during the electoral campaign with a video and/or photograph on the so-called issue of “Burlesk King,” a case that have already been established as false and fabricated.
4. A week before the start of the electoral campaign, Team Nograles was already alerted about the plan to distribute the derogatory and damaging handbill, with the information that at least 50,000 pieces have already been printed and readied for distribution. The warning turned out to be with basis.
5. Immediately upon the receipt of Team Nograles of a copy of the handbill last March 26, a forensic examination was conducted on the pieces of photographs that were printed atop each other to come up with the corrupted printed material. We have identified the individuals who laid their corrupt hands on this criminal production. They will be punished, jailed and made to pay for the great damage they have caused, and continue to cause, to individuals, families and institutions.
6. Team Nograles is putting up a reward of P100,000.00 for anyone who could pinpoint to the printing press used to mass produce the criminal material. The printing press will be made to answer for its liability, both criminal and civil.
7. I do not expect the Duterte-Duterte administration to admit its guilt in this latest corruption of morality and society. Evidences that will come out in the next days will take care of them.
8. I wish to remind the Duterte-Duterte administration, nevertheless, that it is a matter of duty for them to stop the criminal activity of mass distribution of a prohibited material. What is the use of their P2-million per day peace and order/intelligence funds that they have squeezed from Davao City taxpayers over the last 2 decades if they feign deafness and blindness to this anomaly?
9. All the evidences of corruption have come out to show that Duterte is corrupt. Still, I am a bit surprised that he could resort to the corruption of photographs to suit the evilness of his desire to keep power forever for himself, his family members, cronies and followers.
10. We can only hope that Duterte could find the occasion to pray in this season of Lent so that he could finally be blessed with a clean mind.
11. From the start, Team Nograles has observed uprightness in the discussion of public issues. It has been consistent in its stand to expose irregularities only on the basis of official documents and evidences. We can only choose our stance in this electoral drive, but we cannot choose how our desperate opponents would play their dirty games.
12. Team Nograles has refrained from delving into issues that have personal undertones. But Duterte, in apparent desperation, drew the first blood. As we try to hold on to our punches, we want to assure the public that whatever happens, everything that we will come out in the days ahead will be based on facts that are backed by verifiable evidences.
Published March 30, 2010 – Mindanao Insider Daily